Certificate Programs for International Students

Certificate Programs: How to Apply


COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information for International Students

All UCLA Extension classes will be online for Spring and Summer Quarter 2020.

New Students: In Spring and Summer 2020, UCLA Extension offers remote learning only. You may register for programs at any time before the program start date. The I-20 to obtain a student visa is not required and is not available for remote study.  Note: There are no housing accommodations on campus in summer.
Students already in the U.S. with a F-1 Visa: Please follow the step-by-step application process below.

Frequently Asked Questions about Remote (Online) Instruction

Download FAQ's

Application Process for International Students

The links below will help you to understand the steps required for application to a UCLA Extension certificate program.

Complete the following steps to become a certificate program candidate, and to obtain a form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status:

1. Apply to a certificate program

On the webpage of your chosen certificate女人隐私图片不加密, choose “Apply Now” to create a UCLA Extension student profile and pay the certificate program application fee.

2. Complete the International Student Certificate Program Application

Fill out the International Student Certificate Program Application. When all pages are complete, you will be prompted to pay the $2,000 USD international student fee in order to submit your application.

3. Purchase health insurance

Certificate program students are required to have health insurance for the duration of your studies at UCLA Extension. Health insurance fees are paid each quarter. New students are required to purchase health insurance and submit proof of payment along when you apply. 

女人隐私图片不加密To purchase health insurance and view policy details, visit the  or call (877) 246-6997 to speak to a representative.

Current health insurance rates (per quarter):

  • Student: $802.50
  • Spouse/Domestic Partner: $1,500
  • Each Child: $1,002

To provide proof of your own health insurance, you must submit the Health Insurance Waiver Form女人隐私图片不加密 (pdf) and documentation showing proof of coverage.

4. Provide us with your supporting documents

Please email the following required documents to our International Student Office at iso@bianyipay.com. These documents cannot be mailed or delivered to our office.

女人隐私图片不加密 Include in the body of the email: 1) your student ID number, 2) your name as it appears in your passport, and 3) your selected certificate program. Without this information we will not be able to associate your documents with your application. 

Financial certification, such as a bank statement or bank letter, declaring you have a minimum of $26,300 USD, or equivalent, to cover your school and living expenses for a year. If you have dependents, make sure the financial certification includes those amounts. If a sponsor is providing the money for you, please submit an Affidavit of Support (pdf) from them, plus their bank statement or bank letter.

English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic, or iTEP Academic-Plus), which must be no more than two years old. There is no need to mail us hard copies of your score report. Instead, have the official score report sent to you directly, and then you may email us the copy of the official score. If you are requesting a waiver of the English language proficiency requirement, please submit a completed English Language Proficiency Waiver Form女人隐私图片不加密 (pdf) and supporting documentation, if applicable.

Passport photocopy.女人隐私图片不加密 A copy of the page in your passport showing your full legal name, birth date, passport expiration date, photograph, and the bottom two lines of your passport filled with letters and numbers.

Transcript. Official copy of high school or college transcripts. English copy must be included with foreign language transcripts.

Change of Status Form. If you are currently in the U.S. and wish to change your status to F-1, we strongly recommend that you return to your home country and obtain an F-1 student visa. The other method is to attempt to change your status while you're located in the United States. To receive a change of status I-20, you must submit the signed Change of Status Form along with the copy of your current visa and copy of your most recent I-94.

Please note: we must receive all required documents before processing your I-20 request. 

If you are already in the United States on F-1 visa status and plan to transfer your I-20 to UCLA Extension from another school, please email the following to our International Student Office in addition to completing the steps under "How to Apply."

  • Download and complete the Status Verification Form (pdf)
  • A copy of your 
  • A copy of your F-1 Visa
  • A copy of your recent I-20
Your I-20 must be transferred to UCLA Extension within 60 days after the last date of class attendance, or your last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT).

女人隐私图片不加密You will be able to track the status of your application in your .

When your application is complete, please allow 2-3 weeks for us to process and mail your I-20. 

Receiving your I-20

The I-20 needs to be mailed directly to you. If you need to have the I-20 mailed outside the U.S., you must pay $40 USD for the  delivery fee and it will be sent via DHL. If you need to have the I-20 mailed inside the U.S., you can pay the $40 USD for the ISO Express Mail delivery fee and it will be sent via FedEx. You will select the delivery method in your application.

Entry Quarter* Application Due Date for
New Students Outside of the U.S.
Application Due Date for
Transfer Students with Current I-20
Fall (September-December) August 1 August 31
Winter (January-March) November 1 November 30
Spring (March-June) February 1 March 1
Summer (June-September) May 1 May 31

*Instructional dates for each quarter can be viewed here: UCLA Extension Academic Calendar

If we never create the I-20 for you, then you are eligible for a full refund of $2000 for the International Student Fee. 

If your F-1 visa is denied or you do not enter the U.S. using UCLA Extension’s I-20, you can request a refund of the following fees:

  • $1,400 USD of the International Student Fee ($600 of the fee is nonrefundable)
  • All health insurance fees paid

女人隐私图片不加密The following fees are non-refundable:

  • Certificate Application Fee
  • Express Mail Service Fee (once the I-20 has been shipped)

Contact the International Student Office

Speak to a program representative. Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

Learn more about our international programs.


vector icon of building

Corporate Education

女人隐私图片不加密Learn how we can help your organization meet its professional development goals and corporate training needs.

Learn More

vector icon of building

Donate to UCLA Extension

女人隐私图片不加密Support our many efforts to reach communities in need.